18 September 2011

Challenge: Week 1

Give this girl a challenge and away she goes! I decided to start my Lebanese cooking and baking challenge off with a more simple yet hearty dish that I absolutely love this time of year!




Its a combination of everything quintessential Mediterranean - lentils, garlic, onions and lemons- and its amazing! I decided to make a decent-sized batch so that I could pack some for lunch this week. If by any chance I have any left-over, its easily freezable.



This recipe couldn't be easier, especially for non-cooks like myself. I mean how wrong could you go by tossing lentils and noodles into boiling water?



The end result is a healthy comfort power lunch perfect for the cooler Fall weather.


Reshta Lemon Lentil Soup

Ingredients
1- 2 cups  green lentils
2 cups egg-less noodles
1 large onion
2 - 3 lemons
5 cloves garlic
5 cups water
1 tbs of olive oil
Salt to taste

Directions
Bring water to boil and add the lentils. Let boil until lentils are tender and then add the noodles.

As the lentils and noodles are boiling, dice the onion as fine as possible and mash the garlic cloves and set aside.  Set a frying pan on the stove and add the olive oil. Once heated add the diced onion, the garlic and saute until onion is carmelized. 

Once carmelized, add the mixture to the lentil and noodles and mix well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes and then add salt and the juice of 2 -3 lemons to taste. 

This recipe was much, much more simple than I had realized and now lunch is ready for my work-week! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...