07 May 2011

Friday Favourites

Ok...so I'm a bit late in posting this week but in all fairness its been quite the long week! I'm feeling more alive today though and in need of some comfort. The weather outside is dark, gloomy and rainy which just contributes to my need for comfort foods and activities.
Banana Bread
The smell of warm cinnamon and bananas is enough to make me jump with happiness. Its also one of the best flavour combinations I can think of when I'm in need of comfort foods. I opened the freezer to find my stash of frozen, ripe bananas which I keep just for days like this, and so I decided to whip up a batch of:

4-5 ripe bananas, smashed (I like it to be very banana-y)
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

BUT I was craving a little something extra so I tossed in a handful of dark chocolate chips, replaced the 3/4 cup of white sugar with 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of fresh local honey and added a few tsps of cinnamon, oats and toasted ground flax. It turned out perfectly:
Honey Cinnamon Chocolate Banana Bread
Good Book
Although my life is almost always go, go, go, I can never not be reading something. The local library is full of endless possibilities and it always felt like home to me. I can borrow any book I like and be transported to anyplace in the world for free. This week, comedian Tina Fey's autobiography Bossy Pants arrived and with all of the good reviews I have been hearing, I can't wait to read it tonight! 
Bossy Pants
Warm Blanket and a Cup of Coffee
Comfort to me means warmth and safety and nothing eludes to that better than being wrapped in a blanket with a hot cup of coffee. This blanket though is extra special as it was handmade for me by one of my closest friends and I absolutely love it! Coffee on the other hand will forever be my best friend in good and bad times. Its also the perfect combination with a gloomy night like this, warm banana bread and my new read!
Caramel Vanilla Nut Coffee

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...